Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'm going now

Part 3

Along with the man and his ghost dog and the woman with the crowded closet, I had a couple visiting from California. Only the man had grown up on the West Bank of New Orleans. He said that years ago his grandfather and his father were in the hospital at the same time, same hospital. His father was having surgery and under deep anesthesia when his grandfather passed away on the floor above him.

When his father woke from the anesthesia they told him the grandfather had died. He said, "I know."

When his father was under the grandfather had appeared at the foot of his bed and tweaked his toe, just like the old man had done every morning of his childhood.

"Hey, I'm going now, you want to come?" he said.

"No, I'm gonna stay here."

"Okay."

And he was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment